Select Page

Record number take to streets of London for UK March for Life

Photos from the March For Life UK can be viewed on Facebook here or if you are not on Facebook, they can be viewed here.

An estimated 8,000 to 10,000 pro-lifers attended the 10th annual March for Life in central London in the largest March to date and dwarfing a pro-abortion counter-demonstration.

Held last Saturday, 7 September, pro-lifers of all ages marched in opposition to the UK’s abortion laws, which permit abortion up until 24 weeks gestation and up to birth in cases of disability. Pro-lifers filled the streets as they marched to Trafalgar Square, ending with a huge rally in Parliament Square.

Since the Abortion Act was passed in 1967, there have been over 10 million abortions in England, Wales and Scotland, with over a quarter of a million abortions in England and Wales in 2022 alone, the highest on record.

“I was in denial of the basic science that clearly demonstrates that human life begins at conception”

As attendees arrived at the morning events held before the March, a number of them were greeted with a barrage of abuse and insults by a small group of masked pro-abortion counter-protesters.

Lois McLatchie-Miller posted on social media “Note the black masks over the face. Very different vibe to the joyful, colourful, celebration of life taking place inside the Emmanuel Centre, where we’re campaigning for BETTER than abortion for women & babies”.

Once inside the venue though, attendees were able to participate in the ‘Pro-Life Health Summit’ and heard from ex-abortion workers including Dr Haywood Robinson, who had previously performed abortions, ex MSI Reproductive Choice (formerly Marie Stopes International) director Kevin Duffy and Army veteran Adam Smith-Connor, who previously assisted in abortions.

In addition to the Summit, pro-life organisations from across the UK, including Right To Life UK, were able to showcase their life-saving work throughout the morning.

The March culminated in a huge rally in Parliament square as thousands of pro-lifers dwarfed the small number of pro-abortion protesters. Speaking on the stage at the rally, Dr Robinson said “I was seduced into accepting the vain notion that I, as a physician, could take the life of an innocent human being. I was in denial of the basic science that clearly demonstrates that human life begins at conception”.

Claire Culwell, who survived an abortion when her twin did not, told the crowd “Today you get to see the face, know the name and hear the experience of the aborted baby. When people talk about women’s rights they’re forgetting something very important … I was not my birth mother’s body, I was a separate human being”.

Co-director of the March for Life, Isabel Vaughan-Spruce, who just weeks ago received a £13,000 payout and apology from the police after she was arrested twice for silently praying outside an abortion clinic, said “We’re marching because women, and their babies, deserve far better than abortion”.

“The abortion industry hides behind a charade of false compassion and misinformation. Moreover, unborn children are not a disease to get rid of, but are humans, who should be treated with respect and equality. We need societal solutions that support both lives in every pregnancy”.

Addressing the crowd, Isabel said “We have a fundamental human right that’s afforded to every single person in this country – from the frailest pensioner to the busy career man or woman, every mum or dad, teenager or child, every immigrant, legal or illegal, and even to each criminal in our prisons – but not to the most vulnerable and innocent of all, the pre-born child. They are denied the most basic right: the right to life itself”.

Over 100,000 repeat abortions in 2022

The March for Life 2024 took place just months after the abortion statistics for England and Wales revealed there were 102,689 repeat abortions in England and Wales for residents in 2022 accounting for 40.85% of all abortions for residents in that year.

According to the 2022 annual abortion statistics for England and Wales released earlier this year, repeat abortions in 2022, in which the woman undergoing the abortion had had one or more previous abortions, increased by 11,376 or 12.46% compared with the previous year.

Of those having repeat abortions in 2022, 20,947 had had two previous abortions, 5,214 had had 3 previous abortions and 109 women had had eight or more previous abortions, including two under the age of 18.

The data also reveals that there were 1,512 repeat abortions for women residents aged under 19.

The true number of repeat abortions that took place in England and Wales may be higher, as the data only records this information for residents of England and Wales, meaning non-residents who have a repeat abortion are not recorded.

The Integrated Care Board for NHS Mid and South Essex in the region of Thurrock reports the highest repeat abortion rate in the country with over half of all abortions in the region being repeat abortions.

This increase in repeat abortions has accompanied a 17.34% increase in the total number of abortions, resulting in a record 252,122 abortions in England and Wales in 2022. This is the largest increase in the total number of abortions since 1972.

Spokesperson for Right To Life UK, Catherine Robinson, said “It’s so encouraging to see thousands of pro-lifers take to the street of London for the March for Life. We must never forget the lives lost and do all we can to support mothers and babies to prevent further loss of life”.

“It was fantastic to see thousands of passionate pro-lifers, a large number of whom are young people, marching through the streets of London today”.

“The people who joined the March were making a much-needed public demonstration of their opposition to introducing even more inhumane abortion laws to the UK, and in support of the dignity and rights of every human being from conception to natural death”.

EMERGENCY
APPEAL
to SAVE
lives

Only hours left of the appeal to stop three major anti-life threats.

Only hours left of the appeal to stop three major anti-life threats.

Dear reader,

Thanks to the hard work and dedication of people like you across the UK, the McArthur assisted suicide Bill in Scotland was defeated in March by 69 votes to 57.

Then, in April, the Leadbeater assisted suicide Bill fell in the House of Lords.

Many commentators thought both Bills would become law.

If that had happened, governments in England, Scotland and Wales would now be preparing to roll out assisted suicide services.

Over the coming decades, this would have led to the deaths of many thousands of vulnerable people.

But that is not what happened.

Because supporters like you acted, those Bills were stopped.

Because of you, many vulnerable lives have been saved.

These were two very significant victories. But sadly, they are not the last battles we face this year.

The new Parliamentary session began on Wednesday. We now face three major threats.

  1. Attempts to bring back the Leadbeater assisted suicide Bill and bypass the House of Lords

    The assisted suicide lobby, led by Dignity in Dying, a multi-million-pound pressure group, has made it clear that it is going to attempt to bring back the Leadbeater assisted suicide Bill in the next parliamentary session.

    It then plans to use the Parliament Acts to bypass the House of Lords and force the Bill into law.

  2. Labour Government plans for a major expansion of abortion provision, including financial incentives for ‘lunch-hour’ abortions

    Under these plans, the Government would financially incentivise major abortion providers, BPAS and MSI Reproductive Choices, to provide ‘lunch-hour’ or ‘same-day’ abortions.

    ‘Lunch-hour’ abortion services are walk-in abortion services designed to fit into a woman’s lunch hour.

    Women facing an unplanned pregnancy need time, care and support, not a system that gives abortion clinics a financial incentive to rush them through consultations, scans and abortions on the same day.

    If these plans go ahead, many more lives are likely to be ended by abortion here in the UK.

  3. Extreme abortion up to birth proposals in Scotland

    In Scotland, plans are moving forward to introduce an extreme abortion up to birth law. This would go far beyond the abortion law change recently backed by the Lords for England and Wales.

    A review of abortion law in Scotland, commissioned by Humza Yousaf when he was Scottish First Minister, recommended that the Scottish Government scrap the current 24-week time limit – and abortion be available on social grounds, including for sex-selective purposes, right up to birth.

    The final plans are expected to be brought forward as a Government Bill in the new Scottish Parliament, which began on Thursday.

If these three major threats succeed, thousands of vulnerable lives will be lost.

We cannot allow this to happen.

We can only defeat these three major threats with your help.

We ran our biggest campaigns ever to help defeat the assisted suicide Bills at Westminster and in Scotland.

That work has made a serious dent in our limited resources.

To cover this gap and ensure we can effectively defeat these three major threats in the coming months, we are aiming to raise at least £199,250 by midnight this Sunday (17 May 2026).

We are, therefore, appealing to you to please give as generously as you can.

Every donation, large or small, will make a crucial difference in saving the lives of the unborn and many others. Plus, if you are a UK taxpayer, £1 becomes £1.25 with Gift Aid at no extra cost to you.

By stopping these threats, YOU can save lives during this new Parliamentary session.

Will you donate now to help protect vulnerable lives from these three major threats?

EMERGENCY
APPEAL
to SAVE
lives

Only hours left of the appeal to stop three major anti-life threats.

Only hours left of the appeal to stop three major anti-life threats.