Abortion provider Marie Stopes International ended the lives of almost 5 million babies in the womb last year in developing countries.
Guess who their biggest single donor was? You.
Yes, the UK taxpayer gave over £48,000,000 to the organisation in 2018, an increase of 5,000% in the last 12 years, making the UK taxpayer the largest donor to the organisation. This increase comes at the same time as:
- The Charity Commission is investigating MSI for rewarding its chief executive, Simon Cooke, a total salary package in excess of £400,000.
- Recent scandals where MSI has been prevented from practising by Governments overseas for performing illegal abortions in their countries along with investigations by the Care Quality Commission reporting that it endangered the safety of women in the UK and one woman bled to death after having an abortion in one of their clinics in London.
- The Department for International Development has also admitted that they are funding Marie Stopes International to pay lobbyists seeking to introduce radical abortion laws to developing countries.
- A recent highly critical Independent Commission for Aid Impact report condemned the Department for International Development for favouring abortion funding at the expense of strengthening the delivery of quality maternal care programmes.
- Polling has shown that 65% of the British population are opposed to taxpayer money being used to fund abortions overseas; and calls on Her Majesty’s Government to cut all international development funding provided to Marie Stopes International.
- On Monday 23 September, Secretary of State for International Development, Alok Sharma MP, announced to the UN that the Department for International Development (DFID) would be providing an additional £600 million of taxpayer money for “family planning”, which will include funding abortions. This pledge is the UK Government’s largest ever stand-alone spend of taxpayer money in this area and comes on top of the £1.1 billion already pledged over a 5 year period beginning in 2017.
It is time for the Government to totally cut funding from Marie Stopes International. Fiona Bruce MP has tabled an Early Day Motion calling for all funding to Marie Stopes International to be cut. Please email your MP using the function below to ask them to sign the Early Day Motion.
Your message has been sent