PRESS RELEASE – FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
LibDem MP candidate who opposed sex-selective abortion deselected for wrong ‘values’
Right To Life UK are calling on the Liberal Democrats to declare whether there is a place for candidates who oppose sex-selective abortion in their party, following former Stoke-on-Trent South MP, Rob Fello, being deselected as a candidate for having the wrong ‘values’.
During his 12-years as MP, Rob Flello voted on three bills or amendments relating to abortion. Polling shows his positions on each of these issues are supported by the vast majority of women.
- September 2011 – Supported a bill to give woman considering abortion a legal right to independent counselling from a source that has no financial interest in her decision.
- Polling shows 91% of women support this change in law.
- February 2015 – Supported an amendment to ban sex-selective abortion.
- Polling shows that 93% of women support this change in law.
- March 2017 – Opposed a bill to introduce abortion on demand, for any reason, up to birth to the UK.
- Polling shows only 1% support of the population support introducing abortion up to birth.
Rob Flello also opposed the introduction of assisted suicide to the UK. In 2015, 330 MPs joined Rob Flello in opposing a Bill to introduce assisted suicide, many of whom were Liberal Democrat MPs. Only 118 MPs supported that Bill which was voted down at second reading.
Spokesperson for Right To Life UK Catherine Robinson said:
“We are now calling on the Liberal Democrats to declare whether there is a place for candidates who oppose sex-selective abortion and abortion up to birth in their party? How many LibDem MPs who voted with Rob Flello to oppose abortion up to birth and ban sex-selective abortion will be deselected for their wrong ‘values? These are not fringe viewpoints. These are views that polling shows the vast majority of the public and the vast majority of Liberal Democrat voters hold.
- For additional quotes and media interviews contact 07907 272151 or email email@example.com
- For further information on Right To Life UK visit www.righttolife.org.uk
- A full statement from Rob Flello is available here: https://www.robflello.co.uk/
- A statement from a spokesperson for the Liberal Democrats is available here: https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/stoke-on-trent-news/cut-short-former-stoke-trent-3531744
ComRes interviewed 2,008 British adults online between 12th and 14th May 2017. Data was weighted to be representative of all GB adults. ComRes is a member of the British Polling Council and abides by its rules. Full data tables are here: https://www.comresglobal.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Where-Do-They-Stand-Abortion-Survey-Data-Tables.pdf