Despite the fact that Stormont reconvened on 11 January 2020 and we are in the middle of a world crisis dealing with Coronavirus, the UK Government have just announced that they will proceed with imposing an extreme abortion regime on Northern Ireland, with immediate effect, today. Abortions under the new regime will be starting in Northern Ireland next month.
To add insult to injury, they have taken what Parliament asked them to impose on Northern Ireland and made it far worse, meaning that Northern Ireland will have one of the most extreme abortion regimes in the world.
We understand the stress being caused by the Coronavirus, but sadly the political process hasn’t stopped and the Conservative Government have decided to proceed with introducing this extreme abortion regime.
We need to ensure that there is immediate pressure on Northern Ireland MLAs and MPs to take the following steps:
- Ensure that the Northern Ireland Department of Health will prioritise dealing with the Coronavirus crisis and not divert any time and resources, which are critical to saving lives, during this crisis.
- Seek an urgent Assembly debate and vote, in which the Assembly: a) makes it clear that it rejects these regulations and b) calls on the Westminster Parliament not to pass them.
- That new legislation is introduced to Stormont to repeal this extreme abortion regime as soon as possible.
If you are from Northern Ireland, we have set up an email tool which will allow you to send an email with these key asks to your MLAs right now. It only takes 30 seconds. Please click the button below to send it now.
The email tool is part of a wider Save Lives: Repeal campaign that we have launched today to ensure that this extreme abortion regime is repealed as soon as possible.
If you are not from Northern Ireland, you can help get the word out by:
- adding the campaign frame to your profile picture on Facebook
- sharing campaign posts and images on social media
- encouraging friends and family in Northern Ireland to email their MLAs
To find out how to spread the word, visit www.righttolife.org.uk/repeal
Many lives are at stake so we need to ensure this extreme abortion regime is repealed as soon as possible. Anything you can do to get the word out will help.