RTL Submits Comment to U.N. Human Rights Committee on Draft General Comment on Article 6 (Right to Life)
Yesterday evening, RTL Executive Officer Peter D. Williams submitted to the United Nations Human Rights Committee (UNHRC) our official Comment on their draft General Comment on Article 6 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR), which discusses the right to life.
The draft General Comment has been hugely controversial because of its advocacy, in paragraphs 9 and 10, of not only legalised abortion but also assisted suicide and euthanasia. This despite the violation of the right to life that abortion always constitutes, and the abuses and contravention of the right to life that assisted suicide and euthanasia practices both enable.
In recent weeks, Right To Life has mobilised a petition that has enabled people to send comments to the UNHRC on this issue.
In the RTL Submission, Peter dismantles the draft General Comment’s support for anti-life practices, discussing amongst other things, the:
- Humanity and international legal rights of the unborn child
- Illogicality of deriving a right to abortion from the right to life
- Irrelevance of concerns over life and health to abortion provision
- Reality of illegal abortion dangers and safety concerns
- Need for support for pregnant mothers and unborn children
- True meaning of ‘dignity’ and ‘autonomy’
- Evidenced harms of assisted suicide and euthanasia, especially to the elderly, those with physical and mental impairments, the terminally and severely ill, and other groups
- Failure of limited eligibility criteria and proposed safeguards
- Importance of hospice care and reforms to improve palliative services and analgesic medicine
You can read the RTL Comment, here.