RTL Makes Submission to New Zealand Parliament’s Health Select Committee Investigation Into Euthanasia & Suicide
Yesterday evening, RTL Executive Officer Peter D. Williams made an oral submission by international telephone to the Health Select Committee of the New Zealand House of Representatives, as part of their official investigation into euthanasia and suicide.
This comes due to a petition of almost 9,000 people led by former pro-euthanasia Member of the New Zealand Parliament and campaigner Maryan Street, and in the light of separate proposals made by Louisa Wall MP (Lab; Manurewa) and David Seymour MP (ACT; Epsom) to introduce euthanasia into NZ law and medicine, removing right-to-life protections for the most vulnerable of New Zealanders.
Preceding his oral submission, Peter wrote an official 43-page RTL White Paper to Committee Members, detailing:
- The purpose and value of right-to-life protections
- The meaning of euthanasia
- The ‘logical cliff’ of the false ‘autonomy’ argument in extending euthanasia beyond the terminally ill
- The failure of limited eligibility criteria and proposed safeguards
- The experience of euthanasia in Belgium and Holland
- Lessons from the State of Oregon
- The importance of hospice care and reforms to improve palliative services
You can read the RTL White Paper, here.